Our best Wedding Money Saving Tips are here! Having helped to plan 3 back-to-back weddings, we are sharing our Top 10 for saving money on your Wedding. These 10 tips for planning a wedding on a budget can potentially save you thousands of dollars. It is possible to plan a beautiful and memorable celebration while working within a tight budget.
1. Choose an all inclusive venue... this is easiest, less stressful way to make your reception affordable. You will not need a wedding planner. All inclusive packages include your food, beverages, cocktail hour, linens and china, wedding cake and can include your centerpieces. Most places will give you a base package and you can add or subtract according to your needs. For example, you may save substantial costs by limiting your menu to one meal and a vegetarian option. Do not be afraid to negogiate. This is#1 of our wedding money saving tips!
2. Choose a date other than a Saturday from May through Labor Day. Summer weddings tend to be the most expensive. Friday evening weddings are becoming more popular as most places offer special prices for a Friday wedding. April and September weddings are also becoming more popular. Between us all, we have also had multiple invitations for Thanksgiving weekend weddings. January is probably your best bargain but in winter weather areas, another reason to take out wedding insurance!
3. Limit your guest list. I read an article written by a wedding planner, that you should aim for a list that allows at least one minute per guest. So if you have a 4 hour reception, and you invite 200 guests, that leaves little time for you to enjoy the other aspects of your wedding. No one appreciates attending a wedding where they don’t even get to spend a minute with the newlyweds. With a smaller guest list, you will be able to save money, visit with your guests and still have time for dancing and other traditions and may be able to more thoroughly enjoy your special day. This may be the hardest of our wedding money saving tips.
is an important part of the reception but bands are very expensive. If
you choose a band, then get a good one. Nothing is worse than having a
bad band that can’t play a variety of music. Consider a good DJ
and make a playlist that will insure you create the musicality you
want. Always check references of prior customers so that you know
their equipment and the sound quality is good.
5. Check wholesale florists for your flowers. While they may not have the ambiance of a pretty florist shop, they are the ones who supply the florists and are usually much less expensive. The one we used for our daughter’s wedding was in an industrial section of the city, but the flowers were beautiful and the cost savings were substantial. Instead of a big bouquet, consider having each bridesmaid carry a single long stem flower adorned with some baby breath and ribbon. Here are some ideas for creative and inexpensive wedding centerpieces.
6. Check local wedding forums like The Knot or Yelp .. you can get honest assessments on vendors there. I would not rely on just one posting, but read through them to get a variety of opinions. Ask your Facebook friends and work staff for recommendations. Don't rely on just one recommendation.
7. Make your own menus, placecards, church programs and favors.
There is no reason to pay someone to do this. You can design on simple
programs like Microsoft Word or Publisher, print on card stock and add
an embellishment like ribbon and they will look beautiful. Here is how we made our own wedding progams, placecards and menus all from our home computer! Once done,
invite the bridal party over to help cut and decorate. We did this for
helping our bride get her Save the Date announcements mailed out. Here’s an idea for a thoughtful and inexpensive wedding favor.
8. Shop around for wedding invitations. Here’s a place where you can really save some money as there are so options out there. Here are some specific ideas for saving money on your wedding invitations.
9. Think carefully about your wedding photography. Do you really need a professional video or could you ask a friend or two to shoot some candid video footage during the reception. How long do you need the photographer for? Consider the costs for having them leave the reception after 3 hours, once the cake has been cut and traditions done. Skip the photo booth and make your own traveling picture frame like we did here. It was so easy to make and literally traveled all over the reception and back to the hotel bar. We got the best candids ever from this idea! See how to make this fun and inexpensive wedding photography idea! This is one of our easiest wedding money saving tips.
10. Once you have your preliminary budget done, the final of our wedding money saving tips - take a second look and see where you can simplify, modify or eliminate unnecessary expenses. For example do you really need the extra expense of a champagne toast? Let your guests raise their water and wine glasses to toast the couple. Sometimes simple is the best.
For more ideas visit our Planning a wedding section with advice on everything from the engagement, bridal shower, rehearsal dinner and more!